Monday, May 30, 2011

Thanks

I was remembering our trip to Costco this weekend. Costco is the place to be for an afternoon snack and it always keeps the kiddo occupied so mommy can shop. Well this weekend we pulled up to a sample table where a lady was giving samples of hot dogs. I asked Ike if he wanted one and he replied, "yes please". When he took the hot dog from the nice lady he told her thank you. I praised him for saying thank you because it makes him want to do it more. We've never had a problem with our son being polite. He gets the biggest praises from nursery workers and he's just fun to be around. But the lady looked at me and said she gets more thanks from children than the adults! We've raised our son to be polite, but I have to wonder, would I gave said thank you if I took a sample? What about when I take a piece of candy at the bank, or if someone opens the door for me...even if it's my husband? It's so easy to be impersonal these days when stores have been replaced by online shopping, bills can be paid through online banking, and problems can be solved via a recording. Yes, Isaac learns through praise but he's already starting to resemble mine and Cameron's personality traits. He will soon be able to tell if we do or don't say thank you and then follow in our example. I always want him to be grateful for the little things in life and never take it forgranted.

I guess this is just a reminder to me to not set a double standard. I'd like to think I always say thank you, but I know it's not always what I do. So thanks to you for reading my thoughts. ;)

How about you? Do you struggle with this?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

2 comments:

MagsB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MagsB said...

Sorry, I posted about teaching children to be polite when I should have said, we all should have good standards of behaviour because that makes us feel good about ourselves! That's what I try to teach my Sunday School kids, anyway - and it's what I try to remember for myself, too! It's not always easy!!

luv, Mags x